SAINT GILES strives to reduce its environmental impact wherever practical. Carbon reducing measures form an integral part of SAINT GILES’ overall strategy, helping to improve both operational performance and a reduction in potentially harmful emissions to land, water and air. Our goal is to inspire, through our successes, a fundamental shift towards environmental responsibility. SAINT GILES’ current medium-term plan is to work towards a realistic yet challenging target to reduce its carbon footprint to 5% within 4 to 5 years.
To help achieve our carbon footprint, SAINT GILES will:
• Minimise waste through the three ‘R’ approach of reducing, reusing or recycling, proving that waste can be seen as a resource with many alternative uses. SAINT GILES promotes recycling and the use of recycled products to help reduce the burden of landfill and therefore methane generation.
• Promote environmental awareness and responsibility amongst its employees, partners, contractors and service users. Educate and train employees on recycling and responsible use of utilities to continually reduce waste, and adopt a circular model whereby our waste becomes someone else’s resource.
Actions taken to date include:
- The replacing of all fluorescent tubes with energy efficient plastic tubes.
- The refitting of all globes with LED globes.
Installation of energy efficient timers for geysers.
- Minimising the landfill disposal of non-biodegradable material by recycling plastic, cardboard, metal and paper.